vt. 節省,儉省;不用,抽出,省掉;寬恕,饒(命),救命,使某人免遭(麻煩等);出讓,割愛,分讓;
adj. 多余的,剩下的(錢等),空閑的(時間等);預備的,備用的,替換用的;多余的,瘦的,少量的;薄弱的,簡陋的,粗陋的;
n. 備用零件,備用輪胎;節省,儉省;〈美〉(頭兩個球把十柱打得)全倒;預備品,替換品;
vi. 節約;節省;饒恕;寬容;
spare
adj
1 in addition to what is usu needed or used; kept in reserve for use when needed 多余的; 剩余的; 備用的
Do you carry a spare wheel in your car? 你的汽車上有備用車輪嗎?
We have no spare room (ie space) for a table. 我們沒有放桌子的空地方.
I wish we had a spare room, ie an extra bedroom (eg for guests). 我們要是有一間富余的臥室就好了(如給客人用).
I have no spare money this month. 這個月我沒有余錢.
2 (of time) for leisure; free; unoccupied (指時間)空閑的, 未占用的
a busy woman with little spare time 忙得沒有空的女子
He paints in his spare time. 他在空閑時繪畫.
3 (esp fml 尤作文雅語) (of people) thin; lean (指人)瘦的
a tall spare man 又高又瘦的男子
a spare figure 瘦削的身材
spare of build 體格瘦削的.
4 [attrib 作定語]
(fml 文) small in quantity 少量的
a spare meal 量小的一頓飯
on a spare diet 在節食. 5(idm 習語) go `spare (Brit sl 俚) become very annoyedor upset 煩惱; 難過
Your mum will go spare if she finds out what you've done! 要是你媽媽知道你干的事, 她會氣壞的! spare, n spare part (for a machine, car, etc), esp an extra wheel for a car (機器、 汽車等的)備件; (尤指)汽 車備用車輪
I've got a puncture and my spare is flat too! 我的車胎扎破了, 備用的也癟了!
I'll show you where the spares are kept. 我來指給你看放備件的地方.
spare v
1 [Tn, Dn.n] refrain from hurting, harming or destroying (sb/sth); show mercy to 不傷害(某人[某事物]); 饒恕; 寬容
Please spare (ie don't kill) me! 請饒了我(一命)吧!
(fml 文) spare a person his life, ie not kill him 饒某人一命
if I am spared, ie if I live 假若我幸而不死
They killed the men but spared the children. 他們把男人都殺了, 但放過了孩子.
The woodman spared (ie did not cut down) a few trees. 伐木工人留下了幾棵樹沒砍掉.
2 [Tn, Dn.n] refrain from using, giving, etc (sth); use as little as possible 節制使用或提供(某事物); 吝惜; 節約
No trouble was spared to ensure our comfort. 為了我們舒適, 已竭盡全力.
Try to spare her as much distress as possible when you tell her. 你告訴她的時候, 盡量不要讓她傷心.
He does not spare himself, ie works, etc very hard indeed. 他不偷懶.
Please spare me (ie don't tell me) the gruesome details. 你可別給我講那些可怕的細節.
3 [Tn, Tn.pr, Dn.n, Dn.pr]
~ sth (for sb/sth) be able to afford to give (time, money, etc) (to sb for a purpose) (為某人或某目的)提供(時間、 錢等); 撥出; 勻出; 分出
I can't spare the time for a holiday at the moment. 目前我抽不出時間去度假.
Can you spare me a few minutes of your time? 我能耽擱你幾分鐘嗎?
Can you spare me a few litres of petrol? 你能勻給我幾升汽油嗎?
Can you spare a cigarette for me? 給我根煙行嗎?
4 [Tn, Tn.pr]
(infml 口) manage without (sb) 無(某人)也可以
I can't spare him today we need everybody here. 我今天需要他--我們需要人人都到齊.
I can't spare you for that job; you must finish this one first. 我不能放你去做那件事; 你必須先把這件做完.
5 (idm 習語) no expense spared => expense. spare sb's `blushes do not embarrass sb by praisinghim 不夸獎某人以免使之難為情. spare sb's `feelingsavoid hurting sb's feelings 避免傷害某人的感情; 不使某人難堪
He spared her feelings by not criticizing her husband in front of her. 他沒當她的面說她丈夫的不是, 以免使她難堪. spare no pains doing/to do sth (fml 文) take as much trouble as is necessary to achieve sth 不遺余力地做某事
The hotel staff spared no pains to ensure that our stay was as enjoyable as po...
*[sp??]n. 剩余, 備用品, 備件, 備用零件, 備用輪胎a. 多余的, 備用的, 空閑的, 節約的, 瘦的vi. 節約, 省掉, 寬恕vt. 節約, 省用, 剩下, 饒恕, 赦免【化】 備品【經】 節約, 吝惜; 多余的; 免去相關詞組: spare sb's feelings enough and to spare spare no efforts spare no expense have no time to spare spare sb's life