but
adv
1 (esp dated or fml 尤作舊或作文雅語) only 只; 僅僅
He's but a boy. 他不過是個孩子.
If I had but known she was ill, I would have visited her. 我倘若知道她病了, 早就去探望她了.
I don't think we'll succeed. Still, we can but try. 我想我們不會成功. 但是不妨試一試.
2 (idm 習語) one cannot/could not but... (fml 文) one can only...; one is obliged to... 不得不...; 只好...
It was a rash thing to do, yet one cannot but admire her courage. 這事做得過於魯莽, 然而不能不佩服她的勇氣.
I could not but admit that he was right and I was wrong. 我不得不承認他對了, 我錯了.
but conj (often used to introduce a word or phrase contrasting with or qualifying what has gone before 常用以引出與前文相對照或修飾前文的詞語)
1 on the contrary 相反地; 而; 卻
You've bought the wrong shirt. It's not the red one I wanted but the blue one. 你買錯了襯衫. 我要的不是紅色的; 而是藍色的.
Tom went to the party, but his brother didn't. 湯姆去參加聚會了, 他的兄弟卻沒去.
He doesn't like music but his wife does. 他不喜歡音樂, 可他的妻子卻很喜歡.
2
(a) yet; however; in spite of this 但; 然而; 盡管如此
She cut her knee badly, but didn't cry. 她弄傷了膝蓋, 但是并沒有哭.
I'd love to go to the theatre tonight, but I'm too busy. 我倒是很想今晚去看戲的, 只是我太忙了.
This restaurant serves cheap but excellent food. 這家餐館價廉物美.
He's hard-working, but not very clever. 他很努力, 卻不大聰明.
(b) yet also; at the same time 但也; 但又; 同時也; 同時又
He was tired but happy after the long walk. 他走了一段很長的路之後, 雖然很累但也很愉快.
3 (dated or fml 舊或文) (usu after a negative 通常用於否定詞語之後) without the result that...; without it also being the case that... 而不產生...的結果; 而不同時也...
I never pass my old house but I think of the happy years I spent there. 每當我路過我的故居時, 都會追憶起我在那兒度過的快樂歲月.
No man is so cruel but he may feel some pity. 沒有人會殘忍到連一點同情心都沒有.
4 (showing disagreement, surprise or astonishment 表示異議、驚奇或吃驚)
`I'll give you ten pounds to repair the damage.' `But that's not nearly enough!' `我給你十英鎊賠償你的損失吧.' `那可遠遠不夠哇!'
`I'm getting married.' `But that's wonderful!' `我快要結婚了.' `啊, 那太好了!'
5 (used to emphasize a word 用以加強某詞的語氣)
Nothing, but nothing will make me change my mind. 沒有任何事情, 絕對沒有任何事情可以使我改變主意.
6 (idm 習語) ,but me no `buts don't argue with me or make excuses 不要跟我爭辯或推托. ,but that... (dated or fml 舊或文)
(a) were it not for the fact that... 要不是...; 若非...
But that you had seen me in the water.
but prep
1 (used after the negatives nobody, none, nowhere, etc, the question words who, where, etc, and also all, everyone, anyone, etc 用於否定詞nobody、none、nowhere等和疑問詞who、where等之後, 以及 all、everyone、anyone等之後) except (sb/sth); apart from; other than 除(某人[某事物])以外; 此外; 不同於
The problem is anything but easy. 這個問題可絕對不容易.
Everyone was there but him. 除了他之外, 所有的人都在.
Nobody but you could be so selfish. 除了你之外, 誰也不會這樣自私.
Nothing but trouble will come of this plan. 這個計劃只能帶來麻煩.
2 (idm 習語) but for sb/sth except for sb/sth; without sb/sth 要不是因為某人[某事物]; 如果沒有某人[某事物]
But for the rain we would have had a nice holiday. 要不是因為下雨, 我們的假日一定過得很愜意.
But for the safety-belt I wouldn't be alive today. 假若沒有安全帶, 我就活不到今天了.
but rel pron 關系代詞 (dated ...
?? 考研助記
很用功, 但是不(bu)特(t)聰明
?? 擴展釋義
*[b?t]prep. 除了conj. 但是ad. 僅僅【經】 但; 但是相關詞組: to have no alternative but... but for but then