understand
v
(pt, ppunderstood ) (not used in the continuoustenses 不用於進行時態)
1
(a) [I, Tn, Tw]
grasp the meaning of (words, a language, a person, etc) 懂、 理解或領會(語詞、 語言、 某人等)的意思
I'm not sure that I fully understand (you). 我不敢說我已完全聽懂了(你的話).
understand the instructions, rules, conditions, etc 了解指示、 規則、 情況等
I can understand French perfectly. 法語我完全懂.
I don't understand (a word of) what you're saying, eg because you're speaking too quickly. 你的話我(一個字也)聽不懂(因為你說得太快).
(b) [Tn, Tw, Tsg]
perceive the significance or importance of (sth); perceive the explanation for or cause of 了解(某事物)的意義或重要性; 認識到...的道理或原因
Do you understand the difficulty of my position? 你了解我處境的困難嗎?
I don't understand why he came/what the problem is. 我不明白他為什麼來[這是什麼問題].
I just can't understand him/his taking the money. 我真無法理解他[他為什麼要偷錢].
2 [I, Tn, Tf, Tw, Tsg]
be sympathetically aware of (sb/sth); know how to deal with (sb/sth) 了解, 理解, 諒解, 同情(某人[某事物]); 善於與(某人[某事物)打交道
understand children, machinery, modern music 了解兒童、 機器的性能、 現代音樂
We thoroughly understand each other/one another, even if we don't always agree. 我們彼此非常了解, 雖然有時候也有一些分歧.
I quite understand that you need a change/your needing a change. 你需要換換環境, 這一點我完全理解.
He understands how hard things have been for you. 他很同情你的艱難處境.
3 (usu fml 通常作文雅語)
(a) [Tf, Cn.t]
be aware from information received (that...); gather 得知; 獲悉; 推斷
I understand she is in Paris. 我聽說她現在巴黎.
Am I to understand that you refuse? 看意思你是拒絕了?
The situation, as I understand it, is very dangerous. 情況據我看十分危險.
I understood him to say/as saying that he would co-operate. 我認為他愿意合作.
(b) [Tf usu passive 通常用於被動語態]
take (sth) for granted 認為(某事物)當然如此
Your expenses will be paid, that's understood. 你的費用給你
?? 考研助記
在下面(under)站著(stand):老師在上面講,你在下面站著聽,可以 理解得清清楚楚
?? 擴展釋義
*[,?nd?'st?nd]vt. 理解, 了解, 領會, 聽說, 懂vi. 懂得, 認為相關詞組: We understand from an authoritative source that... give sb to understand