reckon
v
1 [Tn.pr, Tf, Cn.a esp passive 尤用於被動語態, Cn.n esp passive 尤用於被動語態, Cn.n/a esp passive 尤用於被動語態, Cn.t esp passive 尤用於被動語態]
~ sb/sth among sth; ~ sb/sth as sth (infml 口) (not used in the continuous tenses 不用於進行時態) be of the opinion or consider that sb/sth is as specified 認為某人[某事物]是...
We reckon her among our best reporters. 我們認為她是我們最好的記者.
I reckon (that) he is too old for the job. 我認為他年齡太大, 不適於做這工作.
The price was reckoned high. 價錢未免太高了.
She is reckoned (to be) the cleverest pupil in the class. 她是班上最聰明的學生.
One quarter of the country is reckoned as unproductive. 全國四分之一的土地是不毛之地.
2
(a) [Tf no passive 不用於被動語態]
(infml 口) assume; think 假定; 想; 思忖; 認為
I reckon we'll go next week. 我想我們下星期去.
The news won't worry her, I reckon. 我看這消息不會使她不安.
What do you reckon our chances are of arriving on time? 你認為我們有沒有可能按時到達?
(b) [Tf, Tt] calculate (time, price, age, etc) approximately; guess 約略地計算(時間、 價格、 年齡等); 猜想
I reckon it will cost about 100. 我估計大約要100英鎊.
We reckon to arrive in Delhi at noon. 我們估計正午抵達德里.
3 [Tn] find out (the quantity, number, cost, etc) by using numbers; calculate 算出(數量、 數目、 費用等); 計算
reckon the total volume of imports 計算進口商品的總量
Hire charges are reckoned from the date of delivery. 租金由貨到之日起計算.
4 (phr v) reckon sth in include sth in a calculation 將某事物計算在內
When you did your expenses, did you reckon in your taxi fares? 你計算費用時, 把計程車費算進去了嗎? reckon on sb/sth base one's plans on sb doing sth or on sth happening; rely on sb/sth 指望或依賴某人[某事物]
Can I reckon on you to help? 你能幫助我嗎?
We're reckoning on moving house in May. 我們指望著五月份搬家.
You can't always reckon on (having) good weather. 總依賴(有)好天氣是靠不住的. reckon sth up find the sum or total of sth; count sth up 計算; 結算
reckon up bills, accounts, costs, etc 結算帳單、 帳目、 費用等. reckon with sb/sth take sb/sth into account; consider sb/sth as important考慮到或重視某人[某事物]
They had many difficulties to reckon with. 他們有許多困難要考慮.
a force, fact,person to be reckoned with, ie that cannot be ignored不可忽視的力量、 事實、 人物. reckon without sb/sth not take sb/sth into account; not consider sb/sth as important 未考慮到或未重視某人[某事物]
We wanted a quiet holiday, but we had reckoned without the children. 我們原想安安靜靜地度假, 卻沒有把孩子考慮在內.